The Connections to Employment program is a 16 week integrated language and workplace training which includes 8 weeks of in-class training and 8 weeks of job coaching with support to find employment. The program focuses on occupations within the retail industry: customer service, merchandiser, meat-cutting and bakery assistant.
The four program components include:
1. Workplace essential skills
The program will help you build skills for the workplace:
- Document Use
- Oral Communication
- Working with Others
- Digital Technology
- Continuous Learning
2. Occupational specific language
The program will teach you vocabulary and language for customer, merchandising, working in a deli, and in a bakery.
3. Workplace safety (WHMIS & First aid)
The program will help you get certificates in food safety, WHMIS, and first-aid.
4. Job coaching with support to find employment
The program will help you to write cover letters, resumes, apply for jobs online, and prepare you for phone and in-person interviews.
The following documents are required:
- Complete application form and submit to Solomon College
- Permanent Resident ID
- Provide copy of CLB 4 Certificate of Completion or original CLBPT Client Profile from LARCC indicating CLB 4 in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Successfully pass interview for the Connections to Employment program*
*Interviews will be conducted a month before the start date
Once documents have been received and processed, and applicants have successfully passed the interview, Solomon College will provide a Letter of Acceptance to the Connections to Employment program.