Language Instruction For Newcomers To Canada (LINC) Program
Solomon College with support from the federal government of Canada offers LINC Classes to newly arrived immigrants to Canada. We are committed to providing newcomers to Edmonton a welcoming educational environment where learners can acquire the English language skills to successfully settle in Canada.
Solomon College currently offers CLB Levels 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 for the full-time LINC program, and CLB Levels 4, 5, and 6 for the part-time LINC program. Our LINC program is designed to help you master basic English communication skills through daily practice with listening, speaking, reading and writing activities. Our LINC Program supports students to gain the confidence to navigate successfully in their new home–Edmonton.
To be eligible for the LINC program, you must:
- Be a permanent resident of Canada or Convention Refugee, or be a person in Canada whose application for Permanent Resident status is being processed in Canada and who has been informed by a letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada of the initial approval of your application subject to an admissibility assessment (this means you have approval-in-principle);
- Be at least 18 years old;
You are not eligible for LINC if you are a:
- Canadian citizen
- Refugee claimant
- Temporary resident (such as foreign student, foreign worker or visitor)
- The LINC program will focus on the correct usage of the English Language in four key streams: listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Training includes activities such as role-plays, field trips and guest speakers, with a focus on providing students exposure to different aspects of life in Canada.
- Instruction focuses on helping learners to achieve a level of language proficiency that facilitates their integration into Canadian society, enhances their daily life, and prepares them to move to higher levels of skill training or enter the workforce.
- LINC Instructors attend regular training arranged by the Federal Government and follow national guidelines on conducting classes, assessing students, and student progression.
- LINC 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 classes
- Classes run Monday to Friday, 9:15 AM to 2:45 PM.
- Continuous intake: new students start on the first day of each month.
- LINC 4, 5, and 6 classes
- Classes run Saturday, 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Continuous intake: new students start on the first Saturday of each month.
Solomon College 10621-100 Avenue Edmonton, AB, T5J 0B3
To join a LINC class, you need a LINC card from Catholic Social Services.
Take a language assessment test at Catholic Social Services to figure out which level is right for you. You can call their Language Assessment, Referral and Counseling Centre: 780-424-3545.
Bring your LINC card and your residency documents (permanent residence card OR landing papers with passport) to Solomon College to register for CLB level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. We will put your name on a class list or waiting list depending on availability of spots in our classes.