Key Workplace Essential Skills Training (KWEST)
In an increasingly digital world, employers value individuals who possess the technological skills and knowledge needed for the work environments of the the future! Edmonton’s warehousing industry is looking for workers who are going to be able to handle these new technologies as they strive to stay competitive in globally competitive e-commerce market. Solomon College’s Key Workplace Essential Skills Training (KWEST) program will equip individuals with the necessary essential skills required to succeed in this rapidly growing sector!
- Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens residing in Edmonton, Alberta
- Minimum CLB 3 to 6 in all skill areas
- Basic Computer Skills
- Able to lift 20 kg and stand for long hours
- Vehicle strongly recommended
Applicants that do not qualify*:
- Born in Canada
- Currently receiving Employment Insurance
- Previously got a certificate, diploma, or degree in Canada
*For any questions about if you qualify send us an email or give us a call
Solomon College’s KWEST Program is a 12-week training program which includes 8 weeks of in-class instruction focused on equipping learners with the technological skills, workplace essential skills, workplace safety certificates, and the employment readiness skills needed to find employment in the warehouse sector. The last 4 weeks of the program will help learners search for jobs, apply online, and attend interviews to help them potentially find employment in the warehouse industry.
1. Warehouse Technology
The program will introduce learners to Fishbowl warehouse management systems, and barcode scanners used in warehouse environments.
2. Workplace Essential Skills
The program will help you build workplace essential skills specifically for the warehouse industry:
- Digital Literacy
- Document Use
- Oral Communication
- Working with Others
- Continuous Learning
3. Work place Safety
The program will support you to get your safety certificates in Forklift Operation, WHMIS, and First-Aid.
4. Job Coaching with Support to find Employment
The program will help you write cover letters and resumes, apply for jobs online, and prepare you for different types of interviews with warehouse employers in Edmonton with potential for an employment opportunity.
Start Dates: September 28 2020, January 4 2021, April 6 2021, June 28 2021, September 27 2021
Monday to Friday: 9:15 am – 2:45 pm
KWEST Program Solomon College 10621 – 100 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta T5J 0B3
- Complete application form and submit to Solomon College
- Provide a copy of PR card or Citizenship
- Provide copy of CLB 3 to 6 Certificate of Completion or Original CLBPT Client Profile from LARCC indicating CLB 3 to 6 in listening, speaking, reading, and writing
- Successfully pass Group interview for KWEST Program*
*Interviews will be conducted a month before the start date.
Solomon College will provide a Letter of Acceptance to the KWEST program once documents have been received and processed, and applicants have successfully passed the interview.
People not qualified for this program:
- Born in Canada
- Currently receiving money from Employment Insurance (EI)
- Received a Canadian Certificate, Diploma, or Degree other than ESL or LINC certificate
If you are not sure if you qualify for this program we encourage you to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 780-431-1515.